On The Culture

Culture

1. the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.
  2. the customs, arts, social institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or other social group.

SOURCE

Who are you? like, really, are you the sum total of your body and mind? What you have done? Are you popular? Smart? Comely? Shy? Do you light up a room, or do you stick in the back? Or maybe you are at home, reading books.

Who you are is deeply personal. Your identity is yours, and nobody can take that away from you. Not to drift too much (during this culture rant) but you should spend time thinking about who you want to be, and be that person.

So how does this apply to culture? Because who you are, makes up who WE are. Are we the kind of people that want a shortcut? Or are we the kind of people that want to put in the work? Are we classic, or ultra-modern? Are we derivative or unique? There are no easy or clear answers here, and what we are is prone to change.

I know what I am. I am curious. Smart. Egotistical. I am learned and experienced. I have worked with Corpo squares, I have worked with filthy grifters. I believe in a free and open exchange of information and enabling that free and open exchange in everything I do. I hate censors, banning or blocking people. To me, banning or blocking is giving up on the discourse that makes this culture so amazing. It is admitting defeat.

But what the fuck is the culture? The culture is standing up to the man. Defending the little guy. The culture is breaking things and breaking MORE things. Getting paid? Sounds like the man talking. We are here because we want to be here. The best are here because they want the flow of information to continue. The culture is learning something so well that it physically HURTS when someone misunderstands what you know about, and correcting them. (like how VIM is the best text editor, I mean, duh) The culture isnā€™t exclusive, it is impossible. You arenā€™t a member because you pay. You arenā€™t a member because you want it. You are a member because of raw proof of concept. You prove that you are a member by living like a member. It is easy if you do it long enough. If you are lucky, you might find someone to pay you, but again, that isnā€™t why we (as a culture) do it.

So stay curious, and welcome, or donā€™t, and begone. I donā€™t honestly care either way. Iā€™m going to keep doing what I do, and loving what I do at the same time. The question really is, what do you want to do? Are you doing it? Why the fuck not?

2 Likes

hehe

1 Like