Should We Use an IDE if we are new to programming

So this small(kinda) article is on

Should we use an IDE when we start to learn a programming language ?”.

MY Opinion

In my opinion,it is a solid NO.Because Using an IDE at first place will make you lazy and it’s kinda like you know half done by you and rest by the app.So if you use an IDE for a projevt or kinda for big codes like about 2000 lines code , it is OK.As the whole process is a time consuming one so IDE just makes it a hell easy.But if you use that for learning, that is not a gokd idea.For example if you are learning a module , like for example about sockets.When you use an IDE , it just fills allthe codes you need and you will be unaware of what just you imported and all.And you will continue with this and when you come into an env where only text editors are used, you will stuck at a point.And you cannot continue writing as you don’t remember.

So Now WHT to use ?

You can use a normal text editor instead of an IDE like for example notepad,nano editor,leafpad,etc.Or i’ll recommend you
soem more advanced text editors which mag not help in filling the “gaps” but may help you at indentation areas.Like when you are writing something and you need to complete it ASAP, so you can use emacs,vim etc.They will put indentations etc automatically.So no need to spend time by clicking TAB key about 2/3 times.
Now one i faced while using these is that the automatically created indentations are not compactible with the new tabs in nano editor.Like till 16th line I used Emacs and next time I use nano , i’ll face an indentation error when i use TAB keys.So I gotta put exact spaces used on Emacs everytime when I need TAB or use Emacs.

But despite all this using a normal text editor is good and helps you in learning and when you see it compiled without errors … that feeling is something different.

Conclusion

SO for all newbies who are gonna learn any new language I strongly recommend you ro use a Text Editor instead of

4 Likes

I gotta disagree. Denying ourselves a tool that is designed to help us write code, access APIs, complete our thoughts that we have, would be to deny our best bet at becoming fluent in a programming language.

I understand your point, of course, and that is why I say that we should avoid tutorials, walkthroughs, and courses to learn tools that led me to write my rant before. They make for poor study materials, especially when there are vast resources that enable honest knowledge. We are in a time where documentation and wikis are able to answer any questions we might have.

But that is the trick, as modern IDEs incorporate those resources into the code writing experience. They are less a crutch, as a way to ensure we are doing what we are doing correctly. Tools like kite that help find common use cases for our code. I use them all. It doesn’t do anything against my understanding of code, but rather helps me write better code.

In short, of course, you should learn a language well enough to write it from any text editor, but don’t deny yourself tools that are available out of some sense that it will make you better. Sure, you can use a hammer to put a screw in a wall, but a screwdriver is the best tool for the job. Use the tools, learn them, love them.

4 Likes